Zahra at the United Nations

Zehra Sariasian :  Kennisinstituut voor Emancipatie en Vrouwengeschiedenis  ...Amsterdam

When I wrote about Beth Ulrich, I mentioned that comfortable space of immediate and total open friendship that I enjoyed over and over again in these halls of power and hope. But, there was also another facet of these encounters. There was definitely sisterhood, but I also felt 'daughterhood'. Anyone under 40 calls that sense up in me....maybe it was the years of teaching at a girl's high school in Madinat Zayed, Abu Dhabi..so many daughters:)

Zehra was busy working and texting to the land of Orange and great Cheese when that banner surfaced once again. She does such interesting work, for the Kennininstituut ( so many vowels), and in fact if you look at the link she is on the front page! Turns out this is a special year for the Netherlands, as they are celebrating their 100th year of suffrage. ( How interesting - I just noticed that suffering and rage were combined in suffrage - all these years and I didn't know that!) Well, I just looked it up and it seems it does come from the latin to vote.

Zehra works for the Knowledge Institute for Emancipation and Women's History. Not only do they sell pussy hats ( mutts) in their on-line store, they are hand knitted.  No, seriously, as a research institute they offer services to all levels of government, civil society and business. At the national level, their policy studies, advice and training relate to the effects on women ( and men) of policy documents, legislative proposals and policy implementation. They send out policy recommendations to the government. I wonder if this is a little like our CRIAW. If it is, I think that the instituuuuut would provide an excellent road map of how we could expand  our research and impact on Canadian politics and society.

Dear Zahra, thank you for your kind conversation and the moments we shared in this lifetime:) Your parents must be so proud of you!  When I asked you what they thought about your journey to the UN, you told me that they were proud of you, but also that they worry for your safety. I am happy to see you are back home with them - please give them my greetings!
love kathrin

ps i love your business card:)

Comments